I mentioned in a earlier post (When It Rains…It Pours) that I am recovering 12 cushions (and making 9 curtain panels) for a 2002 pop up camper that my husband and I bought together with our daughter and her husband.
Here’s what the old cushions look like.
NOTE: The cushion layout in the picture is wrong, but this is how they looked. Some are stained and they have a musty smell…yuk!
I spent a lot of time calculating how much fabric we would need to cover all 12 of the cushions.
The problem we had was that a bolt of fabric only holds 10 yards and we needed close to 12 yards. So, we decided to use one fabric for the seats and one for the back cushions.
We FINALLY found fabric we liked. My daughter and I spent over 3 hours at 3 fabric stores south of town and didn’t find anything we liked or if we liked it there wasn’t enough fabric…ugh!
My niece, Carrie, gave me some really nice chocolate brown curtain panels she wasn’t going to use. Turned out they will work perfectly to cover the back seat cushions. Now all we have to do is find fabric for the seats. I visited a Joann Fabrics store close to me and found some fabric I thought would go great with the curtain fabric. My daughter and I went to check it out and it did go really well. The price was reduced to $9.00 a yard, plus it was 50% off! Right next to it was a brown fabric that would be perfect for the backing and it was on sale too! The total price for both fabrics and some thread was only $51.03! You couldn’t buy 12 cushions for this price.
I wanted to use the existing zippers, so I started ripping them out and removing the foam and plywood. Because the cushions smelled I decided to throw away the old fabric and make my own pattern pieces. Another reason for making my own patterns was that I wanted the zippers to extend around the corners about 3 inches so it will be easier to insert the foam and plywood.
I ripped apart one of each “set” to make the pattern pieces. I put the foam outside in the sun (for several days) to get rid of the smell and sprayed them occasionally with a Lavender and Lemongrass air spray I made.
After making the patterns I decided to sew a seat cushion and a back cushion to make sure my calculations were correct.
Here’s how they turned out. I was really glad I extended the zipper because it was so easy to insert the foam and plywood. The foam still had just a slight musty smell, so I added a fabric softener sheet under the batting and between the plywood and foam. As you can see, they fit perfectly and, if I say so myself, they look good.
Here’s a picture of how the seat cushion bottom and extended zipper looks like.
We decided to use a different fabric for the bottoms because of the plywood. I also taped the edge of the plywood with duck tape to keep it from possibly ripping through the fabric over time.
So, now that I know my pattern calculations are correct, I can start cutting and sewing the other 10 cushions.
I’ll keep you updated on my progress.