Since my last update, I finished making and cutting out all the pattern pieces (91), cut and sewed over 15 yards of bias tape strips (for the piping), and made four (4) more cushions.
So, that’s six cushions down and six to go. As I mentioned in my previous update, I’m so glad I decided to extent the zipper gusset six inches (three inches on each side). It makes inserting the foam and sheet of plywood sooooo much easier!
For the remaining cushions, I need 48” zippers but I couldn’t find them anywhere. I don’t understand why fabric stores don’t carry a variety of long zippers. I could find 36”, 40” and 72”, but NO 48”. I was thinking of using two 24” zippers per cushion, but I needed 12 and Joann’s only had 10. I looked online and found some at Zipperstop.com for only $2.00 each, so I ordered 6. Now I just have to wait for them to be delivered.
While I’m waiting on the zippers, I think I will zigzag all the pattern pieces (the fabric ravels really bad), make and sew on the piping, and sew the top and side gussets together. Then when I get the zippers, I’ll be able to finish the cushions in no time…yea!
I picked up the curtain fabric (below) at the daughter’s on Father’s Day.
You can’t tell from the picture, but the background is brown…we’re definitely going to need to add some color accents to break up all the brown we have going on.
I’ve been giving a lot of thought as to how we could hang the curtains so they can be easily removed for storage and cleaning. The old curtains had white plastic clips sewn to the tops, which were then snapped onto a bracket above each window. The problem I have is that my machine can’t stitch through the clips, and the clips are a bear to take off the brackets.
Here’s what I’m going to try.
I’m going to attach small clear Command brand hooks to the plastic clips and snap them on the camper curtain brackets. Then I’m going to make about a 2” top hem on each curtain panel and add grommets that will hang on the clear hooks. When it’s time to clean or store the curtains, all we’ll have to do is just take them off the hooks. I’m going to test it on a small curtain panel…wish me luck!
Maybe I’ll work on this test panel while I’m waiting for my zippers.
I’ll keep you updated.