Pop Up Camper Curtains UPDATE

26 Jun

While waiting for my cushion zippers to arrive, I started making the camper curtain panels. Two for each bed, two behind the sink, one over the “dining room” window and one over a small window beside the door.

The old curtains that went across the beds had some sort of netted fabric at the top. I’m not sure why… maybe so the air could circulate or so you could see out. I couldn’t find the same kind of netted fabric so I decided to use a piece of screen instead. I’ve sewed with screen before when I made my daughter a dog carrier. It’s really easy to sew.

Bedroom Curtain Panels

I cut a screen piece 13”  X the width of the panel.   For the top, I cut out a piece of fabric, 5″  X the width of the screen, folded under the top and bottom to form a 2″ header piece .  Then I inserted the top of the screen inside 3/8″,  stitched it closed and top stitched it 1/4″ from the first stitching.   I hemmed the sides of the curtain panel and then stitched the bottom of the screen to the curtain top, and finished it with two rows of top stitching.   I then trimmed off the excess screen at the sides.   I covered the sides of the screen and header with a 3/4” fabric bias strip and added a second row of stitching.   I hemmed the curtain and that was it…I was done, except for adding the grommets to the fabric header.   I have to say they turned out really nice. I can’t wait to see them hung!

For the other panels, I hemmed the sides and bottom, and folded the tops to form a 2” header (for the grommets).

Because the fabric is lightweight,  I plan to iron on squares of heavy interfacing on the back of the header where each grommet goes.  The reason I”m not adding interfacing across the whole header is because I want the fabric to fold when the curtains are pulled open.   I found the grommets and tool kit at our local Ace Hardware store. They were a lot cheaper than at Joann’s and contained more pieces per package.

Good news!  My idea for hanging the curtains is going to work out great!  

As I mentioned in a previous post, the old curtains had the (curtain) bracket clips (white) sewn onto them. This made it difficult to remove the curtains for cleaning and storing. I came up with the idea to apply small Command brand hooks (clear) to the white clips on the curtain brackets and then add grommets to the top of the curtains that would hang on the hooks  (3/8” grommets fit the hooks perfectly).   I tested this by making the curtain for the small window.  I snapped 4 clips with the Command hooks on them onto the curtain bracket and then slipped the curtain grommets over the hooks…perfect!  The curtain easily slid open and closed.  

camper curtain hanging hardware

I’ll post a picture of how the finished curtains and cushions look once they’re in the camper.

Now, back to sewing more curtains and the last of the cushions!

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Pop Up Camper Curtains UPDATE”

  1. Marybeth September 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM #

    Hi! Great curtains. I am in the process of making new privacy ones for over both our bunk ends but I’m not sure how many yards of fabric I should purchase. I will also be making ones for the camper as well but in a different fabric.

    • pegeads September 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM #

      Hi and thanks. It’s hard to say how much fabric you need without knowing how you plan to hang them and if you want one panel or two. Normally you measure the width and length, add 2 to 2 1/2 times the width for gathered curtains, plus the side hems. For the length, include the hem size and the top casing and header if any. Hope this helps.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: