If you like caramel corn, you’ll want to try this recipe! The first time I had it was at a gathering at my sister’s. Instead of using regular popcorn, it’s made with a bag of Puff corn, which doesn’t have any hulls that can get stuck in your teeth. The caramel coating is so light and crunchy, you’ll want to eat the whole batch.
Caramel Puff Corn Recipe
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large bag Puffcorn
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Pour the Puff corn into a large cookie sheet, or better yet, a large foil pan so you can easily toss the corn.
3. Place the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a heavy sauce pan on medium heat. Bring to a boil and allow mixture to boil for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add the vanilla and baking soda and mix well.
5. Pour mixture over Puff corn and toss to coat… I used almost the whole bag.
As you can see this makes a lot. I used the biggest cookie sheet I had. A deep foil pan would have made it easier to toss during the baking process.
6. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, tossing the mixture every 15 minutes.
7. Spread out on wax paper, non-stick foil or parchment paper to cool. When cooled, break into pieces and store.