This Italian cheese fondue is wonderful and very easy to make. It’s our go-to meal when watching the big game on TV or having a few friends over. Serve it with French bread pieces (the best), meatballs, smoked sausage slices and raw veggies for a full and filling meal.
Microwave Italian Cheese Fondue
4 cups shredded sharp or cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 minced garlic clove
14 oz. can stewed tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon dry basil
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Combine cheeses and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.
2. In a 3 quart casserole, melt butter uncovered on high for about 1 minute.
3. Stir in onion and microwave covered for 3 minutes. Add garlic and microwave for 3 more minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, basil, oregano and pepper. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes or until steaming.
5. Stir in cheese mixture, a little at a time, beating until cheese is melted.
6. Microwave covered for 2 minutes. Beat well.
7. Microwave uncovered for 4 minutes until fondue is thick and bubbly, stirring after 2 minutes.
Note: If mixture is too thick, you can add a little tomato sauce.
To keep warm, pour fondue into a crock pot set on low, or place casserole on a heat plate.