There’s nothing like a bowl of my beef stew and hot buttered biscuits to get a big smile on my husband’s face.
My Beef Stew Recipe
2 tablespoons oil
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup flour
1 large onion, chopped
1 -2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 – 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Season the beef pieces with salt and pepper and then toss in the flour to coat. (I like to add a little extra flour to the pot to help thicken the stew while it’s cooking).
3. Add the beef to the hot oil and cook until browned on all sides, about 6 – 8 minutes.
4. Add the onions, celery and garlic and continue cooking until the vegetables are wilted, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce. Add the potatoes, carrots and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1 /2 – 2 hours or until the beef is very tender. Stir occasionally.
6. Remove bay leaf and add more salt and pepper, if needed.