This is one of my husband’s favorites. It’s made by layering flour tortillas, a spicy beef and bean mixture and shredded cheese.
My Mexican Lasagna
1 lb. Hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 – 6 teaspoons chili powder
14 oz. Can diced tomatoes
15 oz. Can kidney beans, drained
3 10” flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown hamburger in a 3 quart saucepan. Remove to a bowl, keeping 1 tablespoon grease in the pan.
3. Add onion and cook in grease until tender. Add chili powder and cook 1 minute more.
4. Add the hamburger, tomatoes and kidney beans. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Grease a flat bottom casserole dish. Spoon a little sauce into the casserole dish.
6. Place one tortilla in the dish, cutting them to fit if needed. Spoon some beef mixture over tortilla and top with some cheese.
7. Repeat layering, ending with the cheese on top.
8. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until puffed and heated through (insert a knife in the middle to see if it’s hot).
8. Let stand for 5 – 10 minutes before cutting.
Serve with garlic bread and salad or Mexican rice.