I wanted to make something that would make my grandkids Minion Halloween costumes standout from all the other Minions, so I created these Minion trick or treat bags. If you haven’t noticed, they’re actually trash cans! I’m so pleased with the way they turned out!
Here’s how I made them.
Before they were spray painted, I needed to make slits on both sides of the bottom and the lid for the handle. I tried using a drill with a small bit, but it didn’t work. I needed something that would melt through the heavy plastic. I ended up using an old hot glue gun (without glue stick) which worked perfectly! After all the holes were made, Katie spray painted two yellow for the boys and one purple for Kinzley…the Monster Minion!
For the goggles, Katie found these black plastic glasses. I removed the sides and sewed on 1/2” elastic (sized to fit tightly around the trash can) through the screw opening at the sides. I glued the eyelids on white card stock circles and stuck them inside the glasses with a glue dot in the center. Then I hot glued on wiggly eyes to the outside. I secured the goggle straps to the can using 1/2″ glue dots. I used craft foam for the mouths (black for the boys and white for Kinzley’s) and red felt for the tongues and secured them to the can with double sided tape. I decided since it was a “treat” bag I’d make them licking their lips…Mmm, fill me with some treats!
Here’s the finished overalls. My grandson, Kylan, actually told me “that’s just like their pants”…guess I did it right. Here’s the Minion Overalls pattern and instructions
Once the overalls were sewn, I placed them on the trash can (turned upside down) and hot glued the gathered bottom to the bottom of the can. Then I used 1/2” glue dots to adhere the bib and the strap to the can. The glue dots worked great. They’re thick and really sticky.
For Kinzley’s hair, we cut long pieces of thick purple yarn and unraveled them. I added a line of hot glue down the center of the lid and laid pieces of the yarn across the glue. Then I tied several strands of yarn together (with the knot in the center), and glued several of them down the center on top of the first layer of yarn. Then we trimmed the yarn as needed around the face.
Lastly, I added a couple of strips of double sided tape to the top rim of the trash cans and placed the lids on. Then I threaded 1” black nylon strap through the side slits for the handles and hand stitched the ends together. Here’s a handy tip: To keep the ends of the nylon strap from unraveling, run a flame across it. The flame melts the nylon so it won’t unravel. It works on some ribbon ends too.